Ryan - Birmingham, Alabama

I believe that grandparents are an important part of daily and family life.

A couple of years ago, my grandfather got in a horrible car wreck, almost died, and had to stay in the hospital for several months. He has diabetes, and on this certain day, did not get enough to eat to raise his blood sugar. He was driving down the interstate when he went into a diabetic coma because of his lack of blood sugar. He was unconscious in his car while it was still going down the road and eventually crashed and totaled the car. He broke his ankle and wrist, crushed most of his ribs, and developed pneumonia in the hospital because he could barely breathe. Every night my aunt, uncle, or mom stayed with him to keep him company even though he didn’t know they were there because the doctors had him on many different kinds of medicine. Every day when my mom would come home from the hospital, I would ask her how he was doing because I was so worried. My grandmother was so thankful for what our family did, and she tries to repay us whenever she can.

My mom just recently had surgery on her foot. She can hardly walk, can’t cook for our family, and is in so much pain. My grandmother comes over every day and stays with my mom while I am at school and my dad is a work to take care of her and feed her. She cooks dinner for our family every night and cleans up around the house because my mom cannot do these things.

My grandparents pay for our whole family to go to the beach and invite each of the grandchildren over to spend the night on their birthday. When we go to the beach, they pay the rent for the house and for all of the food. When we spend the night at their house, we get presents from each of them and get to go to the mall to get what ever we want. Also, my grandparents are paying for my family to go on a cruise this spring break to Cozumel and Costa Maya, Mexico for a week.

I realized how important grandparents are when my grandfather almost died in the car wreck. The car crash and my grandmother helping my mom got me to think. They do so much for my family and me because they love us. I don’t know how I would live my life if I didn’t have grandparents. I am very fortunate that my grandparents are still alive, and I want to thank them for everything that they have done for me and my family and for their love that they have shown my family through hard times.