I Believe in the Greatness of Everyday Moments

Laura - Jacksonville, Florida

I believe that romantic loves scenes, the ones where the rain is pouring down and the couple finally realizes they love each other only happens in the movies. It is only in Hollywood that someone gets Hollywood worthy recognition for doing something ordinary. I believe that it is the everyday moments that are great, the most amazing, and the most worthy of our admiration. It is in the moment when your younger cousin says something that makes you realize that she is wise beyond her years. It is in the moment when you realize just how much your parents have done for you. It is in the moment when you realize that you are capable of accomplishing something you once thought impossible. It is in the moment when a chemo patient who has lost their hair walks out unabashedly into public and smiles at the beauty of the day. It is in the moment when you realize that the kid sitting next to you in class will go on to do great things that you can only dream about. It is in the moment when one solider sacrifices his life on the battle field to save his friend’s. It is in the moment when you realize that any one person you know could be the person that will find the cure for cancer, AIDS, Alzheimer’s disease, or diabetes. It is in the moment when your dog runs to greet you after you have been gone all day and you realize that someone really does care, even if it is a furry four-legged creature. It is in the moment when three or four generations are gathered in a room telling stories and laughing, together. It is these moments, moments that occur away from Hollywood’s eye, moments that are rarely portrayed in the movies or on TV that are great. It is these moments that deserve our admiration, our second glances, our smiles, our tears, and our applause.