Kawaiokeolalani - Honolulu, Hawaii

What is Passion? It’s finding the reality of something and looking beyond the flashing lights and seeing the little glitches that really get you into it. Like the icing on a cake, it blankets the secret delights of within. Only enlightening those who are hungry enough to take the first bite; keep you craving for more. I believe in passion.

Every night I mull over what seems to be a mountain of homework. I’ve never imagined that, in culinary, book work would be as plentiful as the kitchen’s tasks. It is here I wonder how I got here and why I stay.

My mother, 42, is in the process of completing her master’s degree in the Hawaiian language. She sits at school in the cliffs and valleys of her work and is masked with the thoughts of forfeit and home sickness. But, it is her innate passion to learn the teaching of our ancestors that keeps her on her path to her future.

Hopes and dreams were always a big role in keeping stable and grinding down the piles of my homework. My partner Lauren, 20, has known her passion since the early age of five. There is no questioning as to why she has the dreams that she has set. When she’s not in her school books, she spends her work days teaching children with special needs how to swim. It is their eager, smiling faces that make you see why she does it. To her: every smile is like a spark, every book is like a candle, and her passion is the light that never flickers; even on the stormiest of days.

As I woke up this morning to the familiar ringing of my alarm clock; I only had one thought in my head – when is this cycle going to end? Though, as I got up and dressed I realized; I chose to stay here. I made the decision to stay in the game to live my bright promised future; but now there was only one way to get there. It is to wake up in the dark and get to my first baking class promptly at 6:30 a.m. Although this task is of much torment; all thoughts suddenly cease to exist as I begin to adorn my chef’s jacket. Every button represents every flame that burns brighter as I do more, yearn more, and above all, learn more. For my passion is like the necessary heat to keep the oven going.

For some, passion is as clear as day and kick started with just a tad of lighter fluid. For others, it is still hidden deep within the weed prominent gardens of the mind; patiently waiting to be discovered. The trick is not to stress about it; some times the most powerful inspirations come from the simplest joys in life.

I dream of fairytale endings, wish on shooting stars, but, none the less…

I believe in Passion.