Jolie - Huntington Beach, California

I lay on my bed staring vacantly at my closet. As I gaze through the open doors, my eyes land on my collection of DVDs and I smile silently to myself. I cannot keep a straight face as I read through the various titles. My taste is so ridiculously eclectic that it makes me laugh. Although I only have fifty movies in my collection, almost every genre is represented. My passion is for horror, but you will also find musicals, science fiction thrillers, romantic comedies, and many others. In fact, if a normal person were to look at all the movies inside my closet, I doubt that he or she would be able to find any common thread between them.

On the other hand, when I look at my strange assortment, the differences do not occur to me. I only see the commonality. Each one represents an unforgettable experience that I shared with the people I care about. As I pick up “Saw II”, I think of that Halloween night when it first came out in theatres. My friends and I had decided that we needed to see it as soon as possible, so we all dressed up and drove to where it was playing. However, we had failed to realize that the movie was rated R, and that we would not be able to buy tickets. Being sixteen years old at the time, I did the first thing that came to my mind; I called my mom. She was definitely aggravated by my short-sightedness, but she came to the theatre and bought our tickets for us. I will never forget how much fun I had that night. After the movie was over, my friend, Danny, was so scared that he did not want to drive home. He always liked to pretend that he was a really tough guy, but this movie terrified him. He had to call me on his cell phone and talk to me all the way back to his house. I know that this is not what most people think of when looking at a copy of “Saw II”, but I am not like most people.

I cannot look at my collection of videos without thinking of all the fun-filled memories that accompany each. I remember being with the people that I love most and quoting lines at each other, making fun of the serious moments, and laughing until we almost cried. Some people take pictures to remember, but I collect DVDs. I am not addicted to the art of storytelling, but to the act of strengthening a friendship through laughter and shared experiences. I believe in movies.