April - Sterrett, Alabama

I Believe

I believe in self-esteem. I believe that every person has a right to be comfortable in their

own skin, and I believe that every person will deal with this issue at some point in their life.

Self-esteem is not a matter of what a person might look like on the outside, but a matter of who

they allow themself to be. What I mean is that a person should be able to know what they can do

and who they can be, accept it, and love those things that make them unique. When I was

younger, I struggled greatly with this issue. I hated who I was and I was always wondering why I

couldn’t look like my friends. I figured that since I was built differently, then I would have to

change myself no matter what that took. I tried to starve and purge myself of whatever small

amount of food I did eat .It was an absolute nightmare. I thought that since I was changing

who I was, I would fit in, but I did not. I hated who I was even more. I was very unhealthy and

had a tendency to fall into my own pits of despair. It wasn’t until later in life that I found what

could help me be confident in who I was. I went to a camp one summer and I learned that God

liked who I was because He created me. He knew everything about me and wanted to show me

how wonderful I was in His eyes. When I turned myself to him, something incredible happened.

I no longer felt the need to fit in, in fact, I felt the strong need to stand out Why should I look

like you? Why should I look like my best friend? This world would be so boring if we all tried to

conform to the same mold. The idea that people have today is that the world won’t accept them,

but the fact is that they don’t find themself good enough. Today, I understand what being

confident in oneself is, and I almost take it on as a job to let others see how great they are. I

don’t want any person, young or old, to go through the dark places that I went through. I want all

people to know that they are specially created and don’t need to fit into any model the world

gives us.