Kaitlyn - Birmingham, Alabama

I believe in heroes. I believe that true heroes are rare and, often, overlooked. A hero is someone who is consistently selfless and willing to sacrifice themselves for the security and well-being of others, without complaint or force. The word “hero” is often thrown around freely and given to someone who is not worthy of such a name.

I’m not talking about the type of hero that requires “super” to be tacked on the front. Obviously, in the real world, no one can fly or lift buildings with one hand or shoot a web from their wrists. These kind of heroes are figments of our imagination.

Firemen, policemen, and military men are probably called heroes more frequently than anyone else. This could be an accurate assumption. After all, their entire jobs are looking out for and sometimes risking their lives to help others. While some of these men and women have purely selfish motives, the majority could truly be called heroes. My father is one of these men.

My dad has been in the army for 22 years. He is a Lieutenant Colonel and is the Battalion Commander the 490th Chemical Battalion. Along with this job, he is the Director of Corporate Travel for BCD Travel during the week. He goes to Anniston every weekend and when we need the money, he goes up for extra drills. My dad has never complained once and he is always in a good mood. When I am upset, he is always trying to cheer me up. He loves to be with our family, he comes to all our sporting events and he does helpful things around the house. My dad is constantly selfless and everything he does is for our family’s well-being.

My dad used to work with a woman whose sixteen year old son, Logan, became sick with cancer. He was suffering really bad and had been through chemo several times. My dad found out that he was interested in the parachute team of the army, the Golden Knights, so he decided to bless this kid. My dad got a poster of the team with “Logan” printed at the top, with the entire team’s signature, and framed it. Then he got key chains, stickers, and badges all having to do with the Golden Knights. He delivered it anonymously and even after Logan died last week, the mother still doesn’t know who the gift was from. In my eyes, my dad is the true definition of a hero.

I believe in heroes. I believe that they are rare and important in our society. I also think that people are too quick to label others as heroes and because of this, we have lost the meaning of a real hero.