Josiah - Tacoma, Washington
Themes: sports

Gymnastics is a very difficult and mind testing sport. It takes a heck a lot of work to just get good and be successful. It takes hours of devotion and strength work outs, concentration, bloody/burning hands, sore muscles, pain flowing throughout your whole body and not listening to doctors when they say “If you want to fully heal then you have to quit. Gymnastics puts so much stress on your body that it makes doctors wonder “why?” All of those things I just mentioned, you can’t give in to any of them. You can’t just quit. If you do, you won’t go far and have much success in a gymnastics career. That is why, I believe in not giving up when you want success.

I am a level 10 gymnast and two time national competitor. At this level I have been tested with a load of situations where giving up was not an option because I wanted success. I want to go to nationals for the third time and place among the best gymnasts in the U.S. I want to be recognized for all my hard work and commitment. I want to feel like all the times I blew off my friends for practice wasn’t a waste. I am a gymnast.

When I tell people “I am a gymnast” they usually make fun of me or laugh but they should think twice. They don’t know how much hardcore “work” it takes to be a good gymnast. People don’t know how many times where I have been given the choice of giving up when I have tried and failed at making a skill I need in my routine. When those times came around, you know what I did, despite the hate of that skill. I went through hours of more trying and hours of not giving up. That is what I believe and will always grip to when I am losing ambition.

In long term goals I want to get a scholarship for gymnastics. Another goal is being an Olympic competitor. To get there I will be challenged with more obstacles then I have ever been challenged with before. I don’t know if I’ll be able to surpass those obstacles, but I do know this: No matter how many times I fall, how many times people talk smack about men’s gymnastics or how many times I want to quite and go play an easier sport, I will always believe, never giving up when you want success.