Katherine - Birmingham, Alabama

Katherine J

English 11

Mrs. Conrad

14 January 2008

I believe in the power of words. Someone once said, “ Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me.” Though this is a common phrase argued amongst little kids, it seems that even some adults are ignorant enough to believe it because they say things that they know will severely hurt others. I think that words can have either a positive or a negative effect on people’s life. Through both personal experience and watching events unfold, I have seen how words can impact people’s lives forever. Three of the most vital words that one needs to hear often in their life is “I love you.” You know those days when you feel like the whole world is against you? Like nothing else could go wrong and you feel as if you are the only one that feels this way? I have had my share of those days and what a relief it is to come home and hear those three words from the people who matter the most- my family. I came to realize this when I was extremely hurt by two of my very good friends last year. I felt so betrayed and their words echoed in my head as I reflected upon our “friendship”. Though I thought these were my friends, I soon decided that they never really were trustworthy at all. It was through the encouraging words that my mom gave me and hearing her say, “They don’t matter, you know we love you,” that I understood how good it felt to hear those words and actually know that they were true. A clear example of how words can change ones life forever is seen in one of my sister’s most painful memories. She attended public school until junior high, where she was bullied with words by a whole class one day. This event traumatized her so much that she moved to a private school for the rest of her high school career. To this day, some fifteen years later, you may ask her about this event and she sometimes will still tear up. The shame and humiliation that this caused her taught me to be very careful of the words that I say to and about people. After seeing how hard it was for her to trust new friends, I realized that words really can impact your life forever. Whoever said “ Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me,” obviously had never been bullied!