Sean - Birmingham, Alabama

I believe in the power of a song. Songs are able to evoke emotions from us, to teach us and to bring back memories that other things in this world cannot. I often find myself listening to a song and trying to compare it to my life. The songs that become some of my favorites are the ones that I can relate to most. It can bring back an old memory or lead to a new one. Often times, couples have a certain song that they both love because it reminds them of their own relationship with each other. Parents have songs that remind them of their own children or of themselves as children. Some can contain an important message for the listener, but others are just fun, providing the listener with entertainment. For example, Kenny Chesney recently came out with an album containing the song “Don’t Blink.” His main point is that people should make the most of opportunities and that we should spend time with those that we care about most. It affects me in that I often just go through the motions and don’t really take much time to think about those that I really care about. I also sometimes wish I could be on my own and more independent, but this song reminds me that day will come and I should enjoy what I have now.

Songs can also be used as motivational tools. Athletes often use songs in order to prepare for a game. One of the songs last year on my soccer team’s warm-up CD was “My Hero” by Foo Fighters. This would not be considered much of a pump up song by most people but for some reason, my good friend and senior captain put the song on there. Every time I heard that song that season, it reminded me of all the things we had gone through as a team, the good times and the bad. As part of my preparation before the semi final and state final, I listened to this song and it reminded me how much we wanted to win that state championship. We were not picked to win the semi final game, going up against a team that was statistically much better than we were, however that song reminded me of all the obstacles we had already overcome. That song is one of the reasons that I played well that game, and we won. I used that song again the next day as preparation for the final, and again played better than I usually do. We won that final, and to this day, I listen to that song and remember some of the best relationships and good times I have yet to experience in my life. Experiences like these have led me to believe that songs are much more powerful than words and the right ones can seriously impact our lives for the better if we are willing to let them.