Ryan - Tacoma, Washington

Friendship

This I believe. I believe that every friend you have in your lifetime makes an impact on you, teaches you a lesson, and shapes you’re character, intentional or not. Even more general, I believe that a connection between two human beings has more power then the average person thinks.

Loosing friends is a scary thought, and I’ve had my share of encounters with it. Fights, growing apart, fake personalities. Although it may seem like the worst thing in the world when its happening, looking back on each of these encounters has actually taught me one of the most important life lessons I’ve learned so far. Looking back on a few short moments, I was surprised with what I learned about people, personality types, emotion, friendship, acceptance, fitting in, and the human element. Usually when you loose a friend the person you were friends with wasn’t a real friend. I’ve had people I used to call friends take advantage of me. It’s very hard to get over that fact when it hits you that the “friendship” you though you had was in fact built on a foundation of lies and greed. To get over the loss, my philosophy is; what’s the point in trying to be friends with someone who doesn’t want to be your friend, move on.

I believe that the only real kind of a friend is a true or best friend. I’m not talking about the way a typical teenager boasts when they say, “____’s my best friend!” I’m talking about someone who will stay by you’re side and have you’re back no matter what happens. Someone you can tell anything to, someone who doesn’t judge you, someone who you can talk to about anything in the world and relate with, someone that you share a huge bond with. These friends are the ones that impact your life positively by teaching you things in life that they’ve learned from past experience. Most of all, I believe that when you grow up, you will be able to count your real friends on one hand. So when you’re in a friendship, analyze and seriously think about the person your friends with and what type of personality they have. Determine if they’re a people pleaser, someone who wants something from you, or someone who’s not being them self merely to fit in. But hopefully you end up with a genuinely true friend.