God is Good

Katherine - Edmond, Oklahoma
Themes: Christianity

I believe in the innate goodness of a human being. I am a Christian, and I know the love of Jesus Christ. I believe no matter what a person does, Christ will offer protection if redemption is sought. Eternal salvation is based upon the forgiveness of sins. However, God does not create an individual and think, “This man will grow up to be a serial rapist and a murderer.” Nor does He allow a woman to conceive a child and plan on her aborting the baby. He creates man with the intention of having him grow up glorifying His name.

God has always been a part of my life. As a baby, I was baptized. As a child, I drifted off to dreamland to the sound of my mother’s voice reading from my Bible. I woke up every Sunday morning to that same voice singing “Rice and shine and give God your glory, glory.” I attended Sunday School and listened to my teachers talk about the life of Christ, but I did not hear what they were preaching. As I grew older, I started digesting the stories being poured into me on a much deeper level. I developed my own interpretations of the scriptures and parables that had been taught to me for so long.

Philosopher John Locke developed the idea of tabula rasa, a theory that claims the human mind begins as a “blank slate.” I firmly disagree. Before my mom started teaching me about faith, I am certain God had built the foundation. I believe that from the moment a baby is conceived, God begins sculpting its future. Whether He plans to give the developing life a future of diapers and dishrags or limousines and red carpets, God sees the greatness destined for this new addition.

In seventh grade, I confirmed my belief in God through a ceremony called Confirmation. It is a baptism renewal once a young adult is mature enough to choose for himself to devote his life to Christ. With my minister, family, and friends surrounding me, I felt the intensity of God stronger than ever. I broke down into tears. I knew that I was at the right place in my life. I knew God was proud of me.

From neglect to abuse, pain that occurs early in childhood disturbs a child’s ability to develop trust. This initial lack of trust is difficult to overcome if not impossible to regain. For this reason, I look back to the beginning when my mother was my spiritual provider. I thank God that He put her in my life to teach me about Him. Without her I would not have been able to take off on my faith journey with such a strong heart.

Before we take our first breath of air, God knows the day we will join Him in heaven. He knows the hairs on our heads and the prints on our fingers. He knows the trials we will face and the joys we will find. He knows the man I will marry and the places I will go. But most importantly, when I meet Him in heaven, I hope I am the woman he created me to be.