Kristen - Trussville, Alabama

“I Believe in Reading”

Ever since I was young, I can remember my love for reading. It didn’t matter what kind of book it was, it just had to have a story line that interested me. I have always wanted to read. Even now, at sixteen, I still look forward to finding a good book, diving into its pages, and living in that fantasy world. I believe that reading is a good way to relax and forget for a little while about the chaotic world that we live in.

My parents always encourage me to read. They say it will make me smarter, increase my vocabulary, and help me to think faster. However, reading is more than that for me. It has become a comfort, an alternate universe I can always depend on. Everyone has a bad day. For me, when I have a bad day, reading is my way of escape. When things don’t go as I intend them to and everything falls apart, I can always count on that certain book to have the same plot and the same characters that it did when I left it. I can count on it to be lying there waiting for me to pick it up and jump right back into the story exactly where I left off. When I open the cover and begin to read, I lose myself in the book. I feel as if I can be anyone, anywhere, and do anything. Whether it’s some unstoppable hero of some sort or a normal person with an amazing talent, I become them for that moment in time. Soon I am the main character or some observer close by. I feel what they feel and know what they know. I go through their journeys with them. Sometimes I get so entrapped that it’s almost as if what is happening in the book will affect my daily mood. I am living someone else’s life.

Not only that, but there are so many different kinds of books to choose from. Whatever you are feeling, there is a book to match it. When I read, all of the stresses and worries of this world go away. Some people have different ways of dealing with the stresses and problems of this world from running to sleeping. As for me, reading has been and will continue to be my escape from the problems of this world.