William - Bainbridge, Georgia
Themes: illness

A Deadly Killer

Alzheimer’s disease is a killer. If it does not kill the person who has it, the disease emotionally kills those that the person affects. My grandmother, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s approximately two years ago, has been an inspiration to me. As she battles with this deadly disease, she unknowingly teaches me how imperative it is to live life to the fullest. It is through her that I have learned to soak in life, to not take something as precious as life for granted.

My grandmother was living in a distant town when she moved in with my mother and me. Shortly after, she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. At first, my family did not know what was wrong with her. She was acting strange, forgetting names, forgetting people, forgetting to eat. It was not until she locked herself out of my house trying to find my mother that we realized something was desperately wrong. Sometime later, a neurologist confirmed our fears by diagnosing my grandmother with Alzheimer’s disease. Since my grandmother’s diagnosis, her condition has worsened, which has only emphasized my belief that life can never be taken for granted.

Although my grandmother may have Alzheimer’s, she constantly teaches me new things. She teaches me to seize the day and to never take life for granted. She has taught me to live in the moment and to not be obsessed with unimportant things. I can say with confidence that my grandmother has bettered me as a person. Through her pain, I find realization, which is the biggest reward of all. For this reason, and many others, I believe with great confidence that I must take time to stop and smell the roses. Although one day the smell of those roses may fade away, for that moment in time, that moment when she felt infinite, the smell of those roses was the happiest moment of her life. It was the sweetest smell of all.