Abby - New Glarus, Wisconsin

Abby S

Advanced English 9

This I Believe Essay

January 23, 2008

Happiness: The Choice is Yours

Life is an unpredictable, exciting, crazy, scary, wonderful adventure. Therefore, you should make the most out of it. I would love to say that I do that. However, I don’t always. There are times when I get scared for the future. There are times when I dwell on the past. There are times when I just feel like giving up. But I try to pull myself out of bed each day and say this is going to be a good day. It’s simple, happiness, the choice is yours.

The last time I was truly happy. I mean when it seemed as though time stopped and every worry I had disappeared was during my friend Paula’s Christmas party. It was a chilly winter night, the snow slowly falling down. We had just ate Paula’s homemade desert. There had been talks of a snowball fight. We all ran to slip on our coats, gloves, and shoes. On the deck we began our battle. Snow flew everywhere. As Pollie, Lauren, Dacy, Kayla, and I launched snowballs Paula, Maegan, and Chelsea looked on from the comfort of the glowing house. Suddenly plop, Kayla had slipped going into the house. Laughing so hard, we all struggled to catch our breathe and Kayla. Nobody won the fight.

I will admit it. Sometimes I do fake the smiles and put on the persona as if my life is wonderful, even when its not. That’s just the way I am. I don’t want to bring people down just because I’m having a bad day. I would much rather have people bring me up because they are having a good day. But for the most part I try have fun each and every day. And I am usually happy. Wether its being with the ones you love or helping out a complete stranger. Reclining in your La-Z-Boy eyes glued to whatever looks good at the time on t.v. or staying out till dawn doing things you know your mother wouldn’t approve of. Everyone is different. Therefore, finding what makes you happy is critical.

“My life is so terrible.” “Nothing goes my way.” “I’m miserable.” I want to stick those earplugs construction workers wear in my ears when I hear people talking like that. It’s plain and simple, I don’t care. It’s not because I’m an evil horrible person with no inner emotions. It’s just that I think people decide their emotions. They decide to look on the bad side or on the good side of things. If they want to be all my life is horrible, feel bad for me, so be it. But I won’t feel bad because I wouldn’t want anyone to do that for me. I would want to be the one to say my life is terrible, so I am going to do something about it.

If all my wishes don’t come true, I will still be the same happy girl, who sometimes does fake it, but nevertheless is happy with who she is and will always enjoy those times when that true happiness feeling comes around.