Emily - New Glarus, Wisconsin

Everything Happens for a Reason

“Everything happens for a reason” is what my dad told me the night my dog died. It was something I had heard him say before, but it has had much more meaning since that night. A night that is burned into my memories.

As I stepped outside my front door I couldn’t help but be pulled into the night air. There was a sudden calm to it. I thought that that night would be a good night for a bike ride. That feeling didn’t last long.

As we started down the road a truck pulled onto it. The truck was across the street from me, but Shela was down in a ditch on that side, and ran up to stop the truck. Only the driver was too busy watching me to see her. He hit Shela head and on pushed her three meters before he realized she was under his wheels. Stunned, I still managed to follow my reactions and run to her. I picked her up and was caring her back across the street when half way there I felt her get cold. In that instant it felt like I was holding a block of ice against my body. I looked, and she was gone.

I had forgotten the man until he said something, I told him to get my dad. When they got back all I could say was she’s dead, she’s dead. I repeated it until the tears overwhelmed me and I was back in my living room. As my dad tried to comfort me he said that she ran in front of the truck to protect me, but I shouldn’t blame myself, it was her choice.

It took me months after her accident to be able to look back on it and express what happened that night not only to Shela, but to me. I had grown from that experience and learned that it had to happen to show me how the world truly is.

At night I still wish I could go back and change the out come. I still wish that it didn’t have to happen, but the world is full of problems, and even more full of mistakes. And although I regret all of this, it was not a mistake, because it had to happen for me to learn. That is what life is about learning, and sometimes you have to learn things the hard way. All you can do is take a deep breath and a step back. Because like my father still tells me, everything happens for a reason.