Lauren - New Glarus, Wisconsin
Themes: carpe diem

I Hope You Dance

Lauren Narveson

Do you remember the last dance you ever went to? Whether it was a wedding, prom, homecoming, or some party. Did you dance, or did you just sit back and watch others? I believe that when you get a choice to sit it out or dance, you should dance.

When I glance back at my childhood, I have a vivid memory of my mom and me singing, “I Hope you Dance” by Lee Ann Womack. We belted out,” I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance. Never settle for the path of least resistance. Living might mean taking chances, but they’re worth taking. Lovin’ might be a mistake, but it’s worth making.” I was around 8 years old when we would sing that song, and I didn’t have a clear view of what the song meant. As I sing it now it shows me that I have the power to be who ever I want to be, and it makes me not afraid to take chances.

During this past year I have been figuring out how I want to live my life. I’ve been thinking about my childhood and how I was so carefree. Being a kid you don’t prepare for life, you just live it. Now that I’m 15 I’ve realized life isn’t that simple. I now have the pressure to be someone I’m not. Every step I take someone is judging me. Last year I had the worst year of my life. I was confused with everything: with friends, with family, with life, and with myself. The friends I thought I had were fake right to my face. Many judged me without even knowing me. After that year I realized that I shouldn’t care about those people and just dance through everything. I only have one life, why should it be consumed with hate and sadness, when I can enjoy the life God gave me.

Last year my dad was in a tiresome job that dragged him down day after day. From dusk until dawn his labor became overwhelming. He became stripped from his family without having a say in it. He was always stressed and never seemed to enjoy life. This year he finally decided to quite his job and start up his own company. He took a chance that came to him, and now he is finally savoring life and spending it with the people he loves.

When I have miserable days where I feel like I’m alone in this world, I run into my room blaring, “I Hope You Dance.” This song gives me courage and faith to follow my dreams, take chances, be happy, and just live life. That song shows me to live life to the fullest. Since I’m only here for a short time, I take all the chances that come to me. And when I get the choice to sit it out or dance, I will dance.