Logic and Reasoning

Swarnendu - Syracuse, New York

I believe that logic and reasoning can solve many of the current day problems. The problems I am referring to are the ones of mistrust, conflicts and bloodshed. I belong to a nation that has been for a long time now a victim of immense destruction resulting from a conflict between government and separatist forces. As a young citizen of my nation who wants to the country to prosper, I am pained every moment my nation takes a step backward due to unfortunate losses of life and property. I wonder how this is going to end.

I see around trying to understand how we have been solving various problems till now, and what I find is logic and reason. As a student of engineering, I have some insight into the working of various gadgets. They are nothing but repeated application of some physical laws – connected to each other in a logical and reasonable way. We do not make the laws. We just use them. The facts that gasoline expands when heated and wheels roll without an obstacle are logically connected together in the making of a car.

This way of observing the laws and using them to our advantage has analogues in modern day society also. Concepts like democracy and capitalism have worked well in the society in terms of preserving harmony and maintaining progress. The idea that too much power entitled with a single person proves detrimental and the subsequent logical extension in separating the powers has given rise to democracy. Similarly the acceptance of the phenomena that humans are greedy and subsequent legal and regulatory extensions ensuring a civilized contest is what the successful idea of capitalism is about.

May be the solution to violence is in astute observation and subsequent reasoning. May be we need to observe the problem more closely, identify the patterns, and use them to the advantage of all the people concerned. I believe reason is more tangible and communicable than individual or fascist prejudices. I believe logic will pave the solutions for such seemingly insurmountable problems.