My Best Friend, My Sister

Cayla - Wichita, Kansas

I have a strong belief in friendship. If you have a friend that is there for you no matter what you do, whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, you are truly blessed. I am lucky to say that I have a friend like that. I would not trade the best friend I have for anything in the world.

I met my best friend sixteen years ago. We were pee – wee cheerleaders together. We started off hating each other because she was the only girl from a different school than the rest of us. One night our moms made us spend the night together, and the rest is history. We have been best friends; or should I say sisters the whole time.

My best friend is my rock, my sanity, and my source of laughter when I need it. She knows me better than I know myself. She loves me unconditionally. I could make the biggest mistake ever, and she would still be there to pick me up off of the ground and let me know what I did wrong and how I should fix the problem.

Not only is she there for me no matter what, she shares so much with me. She shares her family, who since we met has become my family also. She shares her beautiful daughter, who I helped raise for the first two years of her precious life. She has even shared her home with me on numerous occasions.

We have been through so much together and our friendship has never weakened. We have disappointed each other many times, but a bond like ours cannot be broken. Distance cannot even weaken our friendship, we both have lived all over the country and our friendship survived. Long periods of time of no communication have also occurred, and we just start from where we left off, as if we spoke to each other yesterday.

I would not be who I am if it weren’t for my best friend. That is why I have such a great belief in a strong friendship. Good friends are so important when you have no one else there for you. Not just good friends, but friends that become your family. If I were to wish something for people to have in life, it would be to have a friend like my best friend. Again, I am so lucky to have a friend like my best friend – my sister.