Jessica - New Glarus, Wisconsin

The Influence of Others

Ever wonder why you do what you do, or think the way you think? How you came to think and act the way you do? When I look around me I see teachers, friends and family. All of these people have affected how I live, act, and think. People I see everyday influence my life. Mrs. Janis, Mr. Staples, Mrs. Carlstein, are all teachers who have had an impact my life. Mrs. Janis, my 6th grade reading teacher, helped me find my favorite pass time. Reading. Now I am told to “stop reading, and to come up for some air”. Mr. Staples, a math teacher, can solve a Rubik’s Cube in about three minuets. Every day I would try to solve it. I never have. Mrs. Carlstein, my old middle school choir director, gave me confidence by giving me my first solo. I still remember the words. “This Land is ours, the Mountains high and the Valleys low.” All of these people helped me discover there is more then just one way to look at a situation and anything is possible no matter what others might say.

When I come to school, the first people I search for are my friends. They get me to lie back and have fun. They make me laugh at myself and not be serious all the time. When I moved to New Glarus I was afraid that I would not fit in. Thanks to some people, who are now my friends, for taking me in, and letting me be one of them. I never have to worry about being different from others, because I can always fit in with my friends. They bring out the best in me. If it was not for Olivia and Anna, I wouldn’t have joined Cross Country, my favorite sport. With my friends I can talk about the hottest celebrity, and where to buy those really cute shoes. These friends are my extended family.

Family is a major part of my life. Katelyn, my sister, helps relate to me, encourages me to be myself, and always backs me up no matter what the situation. She understands the pressure of school and that not everything can be done at once. She helps me through the highs and lows of my life. My mom supports me in every way. Every time I come home from Musical practice she asks to see our new choreography. One of the first questions she asks me when I get home from school is “How was your day?” She lets me know that she wants me to do my best and have fun while doing it. My dad solves everyone’s computer problems. He leads by example showing me that any problem can be solved. And putting in the hard work will eventually pay off. My family has the biggest impact on my life.

Teachers, friends, and family all affect the way I think. When I make a decision I like to call it my own, but really I was influenced by the people who surround me. They make me see whole new levels, full of different ideas and potentials.

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like without these people, and realize without them my life would not be the same. I would not think Orlando Bloom is some what hot or solving a Rubik’s cube is possible. With the influence everyone gives me I can make the decision of what is right and wrong, and how I want to live my life.