Larry - Richfield, Minnesota

I believe I am the center of the universe. This is not unsubstantiated boasting, but supported by facts obvious to all. Allow me to list my proof:

• Air: It surrounds me and makes itself available for my every breath. It does not wall itself off. There is no air that is not mine.

• Gravity: This world attends to me 24×7. It holds me to its bosom in a gentle grasp that allows play and pleasure. Whether I climb a tree or swim a lake, gravity gives me its full attention.

• Starlight: When I step into my backyard on a dark night, starlight that has been traveling for millions of years dances and twinkles on my eyes for my delight. In complete anticipation of my movement, I can wander about in the dark, and I am followed by light from the other side of the galaxy, from the other side of the universe, to be there at my beck-and-see.

• Perspective: I stand anywhere, and turn a full 360-degrees and the world has formed around me. Somewhere off in the distance is the horizon. As I move the world reforms around me for my amazement.

• Attitude: All things bend to my will. I decide what is good or bad simply by declaration. Only I get to decide if the rain was good, or if it is too windy or hot.

This is an amazing universe that dances before me and bends to my will.

Yes, I am the center of the universe – and so are you.

This I believe.

Now in order for this to be true, that we are both the center of the universe, we must share the same space, be made of the same stuff, have the same thoughts, and want the same things. Are we? Do we?

We are all biological creations that require the same air, sunlight and starlight, gravity and water to exist. We are one humanity striving valiantly to survive and wanting to understand. We treasure our children and are thankful for the alternating sun and rain; for darkness which brings rest and light which encourages accomplishment. We are one – one humanity challenged to accept itself.

Until we accept our commonness, our similarities, we will continue to focus on relatively insignificant differences such as which side of the river we were born on, or which day of the week we choose to worship. But none of that diminishes my belief – that I am the center of the universe – and so are you.