Bethe - New Glarus, Wisconsin

The Power of Friendship

I couldn’t make it through life without my friends. They are there for me for all of my problems whether it concerns my home life, my school life, or even my health. I can count on them for anything.

“Don’t do it, she’s not worth it.” whispered my best friend, Katie. I clenched my fists in anger as my arch enemy came up to my desk, accusing me of spreading rumors. I argued with her explaining that I wouldn’t even go through the trouble to put her down, and she started to yell. Naturally, I stood up so she didn’t think she could have an advantage over me. She got in my face and told me I was a dirty liar. I looked her in the eye and said “I don’t know how many times I’ll have to tell you this: I’M NOT A LIAR!” Not knowing what else to do, she quickly swiped my books from the desk to the floor. Normally, if it were just her and I there I would’ve shoved her, but luckily for me my best friend Katie was standing right next to me. She took my shoulder and whispered “Don’t do it, she’s not worth it.” I bent over, picked up my books, and walked down to the counselor’s office. Had it not been for Katie, I would’ve gotten into my first fist fight. Now every time someone upsets me, I simply imagine her voice in my ear saying “Don’t do it. She’s not worth it.”

Not only did she keep me from making a huge mistake, she also made me feel better about it. After the bell rang, I was still in the counselor’s office, and Katie came to drop off my back pack. I opened it and saw a note placed on top of my books saying “OOOOOO they have ‘witnesses’!!!”. Later Katie told me my enemy had gone up to her friend and said “Okay you are a witness. Here’s what happened….” I kept that little note with me for all these years just to remind me of how great my friend really is.

I continue to believe to this day that true friends not only bring out the best in you, but also help you through the hard times. Friends are always there for you, especially when you need them most. No matter how far apart friends are, they will stay in each others hearts. Friends are the living form of our guardian angels.