Cecilia - Monticello, Wisconsin

What is music? According to Webster’s definition, music is: 1: The art of producing pleasing or expressive combinations of tones especially with melody, rhythm, and usually harmony 2: compositions made according to the rules of music 3: Pleasing sounds 4: A musical composition set down on paper.

But music is more than just notes and rhythm. I believe that music is love. Music has the power to soothe, to comfort, to anger, to relax, to revive, to calm, and to communicate. Whether I’m in a hole or on cloud nine; music is a cup of hot chocolate after an afternoon making a snowman and sledding with your friends. When you drink the hot chocolate, the first gulp seems to spread warmth and relief throughout your body. Each next swallow makes you slowly warmer, until the cold you once felt is a memory. A memory that is far away.

Sometimes when I listen to music, I get a feeling too. I get shivers up my spine when a song hits me and I fall on my face. Listening to a song can make me gloomy one day, and the same song can make me cheerful the next. According to my choir teacher, Mr. Blakeslee, music is its own language.

Often times, in elementary school, we are asked what one thing we would want to bring to a deserted island (as if we had a choice). Most want clothes, or a pet, or an aid in hygiene. If I were to bring one thing to a deserted island, it would be my mp3 player. If I were thinking logically, I would realize that battery’s can only last so long, but having music besides my own voice would be quite calming. If I had music I would be okay with eating coconuts and creating a companion named “Wilson” out of a volleyball like in the movie Cast Away. I just would need the comfort that is music to accompany me.

I am also fond of music with a story behind it, like a musical. The one musical that touches my heart the most is RENT. I am a huge fan of RENT; so much that it has changed my life in many ways. When I first saw RENT performed live, the rush of joy that flooded my veins made me feel so optimistic and so invincible, just because of the affect the music has on me. After seeing RENT on a snowy, rainy, sleeting day during early December in Wisconsin, I realized how much music means to me, and I know that other people must feel the same, because otherwise there wouldn’t be music to enjoy.

Sometimes I feel like people don’t appreciate music enough. We shrug it off like air; we need it, but never actually say “Wow I’m really glad there’s air for me to breathe today.” But besides oxygen, food, water, and shelter; everyone has at least one thing they cannot live with out. For me; I would die without music. Alas; I would die without love.