Grant - New Glarus, Wisconsin
Themes: integrity

Grant Patterson

Adv. English 9

Mrs. H. B.

January 24, 2008

Honesty: The Best Policy

Who to trust? This is a question that runs over everybody’s mind many times a week. This question comes up in multiple instances – sporting events, candidate’s debates, school, work, home, or even on the streets. It’s hard to come to a conclusion for this question.

Lying is like digging a hole. The more you lie the deeper you dig. You keep on digging your hole deeper with all the lies you tell. Until someone realizes how deep you dug your hole. Then when someone confronts you the hole is so deep the only way to dig is down. You’re trapped. The only one way to get out of this deathly hole of injustice is to climb up exposing your self to every one. To them you appear dirty and muddy. Your clothes are completely black from all the mud. A musty smell lingers on you. People are disgusted by the whiteness of your skin, after years of not being exposed to light. But years later these characteristics fade, you become more appealing to others.

When you lie you lose others trusts. You become a scapegoat for friends and family. This happens because after lying for so long and hurting other people they lose their trust and respect for you. To them it’s hard to trust you ever again. They may say the forgive you, but you and I know it’s easier to say you forgive someone than to actually do it. One time I was playing the game risk with one of my friends, and it was taking so long we decided to give hints of where we placed our bases. My friend lied to me and sent me looking in the other direction. Now I don’t play risk with him anymore.

To become an honest person you first must gain integrity. This is a great quality, which I can’t pretend I fully have. This means acting the same way you behave in front of others as you do alone. You can’t be hypocritical of others. To be able to be honest with others you first must be honest with yourself.

When you are honest with yourself and others you grasp this great feeling that you are king of the world. You know you have done something hard to do for many people, even adults. This is a quality that is way under valued by many people. You will also notice people will start to trust you more, they will tell you their personal secrets. Also if you say you didn’t do something they will take your word for it as if it is law.

Why not tell the truth? Have you honestly ever told a lie where you didn’t hurt yourself or someone else more than you would have if you would have told the truth? Think about it, I know I can’t say I have. I guess the old saying is true, honesty is the best policy.