Nicols - San Luis Obispo, California

For the past eighteen years, I have been wearing clothes. For probably fourteen of those eighteen years, I have been the one to pick out my clothes. After nearly a decade and a half of choosing what I want to wear every day, I have come to realize that I believe in jeans and a t-shirt. There’s not really anything extraordinary about a pair of blue jeans or a 100% cotton, short-sleeve shirt, but I now recognize that my clothes don’t need to fancy to allow me to represent myself accurately.

It is my current belief that t-shirts are some of the most expressive and versatile articles of clothing available. I feel that I can generally tell a lot about people from their t-shirts. Whether it be a free t-shirt from a blood drive or one from a Radiohead concert, the types of t-shirts that people wear often can reveal to others what types of activities they participate in and what things they like. T-shirts can also convey feelings and send messages. Personally, I wear my “Espresso – Nectar of the Gods” shirt on days when I’m feeling tired. On game days I can wear my Minnesota Twins shirt to support the team show people that I’m proud to be a fan.

My t-shirt collection has become quite large, and each one has a different story behind it. While a cashmere sweater may be beautiful, that doesn’t mean that it will remind me of the road trip that my family took to Yosemite when I was eight. I buy a t-shirt at most concerts that I go to, and I get a new shirt on almost every trip I take. The memories that I have tied to these shirts have made them irreplaceable and incredibly valuable to me.

Many of my favorite t-shirts are my favorite because of what they tell about me or what they remind me of, not because of how they make me look. My shirts are comfortable and they make me feel good about myself, even if they may not accentuate my figure or be low-cut. I can say a lot more about myself by wearing a cool shirt and some average jeans than by wearing a revealing outfit. I enjoy dressing up sometimes, and I don’t think poorly of women who wear mini skirts on a regular basis, but it’s just not for me.

Jeans, on the other hand, tend to be more difficult. Shopping for jeans is enough to make even the surest of them wonder if their thighs are fat. And after enduring time at the mall, it still takes at least a month to properly break in a new pair. However, once I find jeans that I love, it takes large numbers of holes and stains to make me stop wearing them. In my opinion, there’s no better pair of pants than a soft pair of jeans that fit perfectly.

Once I’m a working professional I’m sure I’ll wear nicer and more expensive clothes on a daily basis, but I bet that on the weekends I’ll still be wearing jeans and t-shirts. I know that many things about my life will be different as I get older, but I feel that my love of jeans and t-shirts will remain unchanged.