Robbie - Renton, Washington

Multiple Sclerosis is a disease that affects thousands around the world. My aunt was never the same after getting diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. She will never be able to walk again.

I believe you must live life to the fullest everyday no matter the circumstances. Many take for granted their abilities and greatness in life. This is a story not about myself, but my inspiring aunt, Cindy Harris. She grew up a track star in high school, winning state in the 100 meter dash her junior and senior year. She was offered a full scholarship to Boise State University and had high hopes for the Olympics in her future. This was all great until the summer going into her freshman year of college. She began to notice a sense of weakness in her legs. Something was definitely out of the ordinary. She went to the doctor to see what the problem was; her life was never the same after that visit. She was diagnosed with a disease known as Multiple Sclerosis. This is a terrible disease that makes your muscles weak, this is why She was losing her ability to run because of the disease. Because of this tragic disease her life changed tremendously. Her scholarship was revoked the following year and her track hopes were abolished. My aunt tells this story to thousands of students each year around the nation. Each time she speaks she holds back her tears. She feels so strongly about sharing her story and voicing her powerful influence. She is know in a wheel chair and cannot walk without assistance. She is a teacher and speaker. Although her disease took away a lot it has given her the opportunity to share with others. She stresses during her speeches and visits to “Live Life to the Fullest”. She just hopes that she can touch young people and make them strive to not take anything for granted. Now although my aunt Cindy was hurt by her disease she was never going to give up her athletics. She went on to dominate the Special Olympics in many track events. She told herself that she was not going to let anything stop her from enjoying life. She continues to do as many everyday things as possible. Including helping out her high schools track team by coaching. I was inspired by her story which is why I too try to live life to the fullest and like it’s your last day. You never know what can happen in life that may change things forever.