Karina - Tacoma, Washington
Themes: gratitude

I believe in learning and indulging in what my ears bless me with to hear. Listening to the night noises, the machinery the world has created, the sing-song voices of human kind, music, and any other kind of noise that meets my ears is what makes my heart sing. I love the different dips and rises people’s voices take when they are telling a story close to their hearts, recited a thousand times in their minds, only to finally find a path to me. Where I listen and I learn from their experiences and I take comfort in their voices carrying me along the waves of the story line.

Occasionally I walk to the beach and listen to the ocean waves roll in, the laughter of the family next to me, the squeals of children being splashed by the icy water. Listening reminds me of my childhood. My father was the one who taught me the power behind listening. He showed me how when someone tells a story, rather than words striped across a page, you could hear the intensity behind their words that brings new definition. Now I can almost taste the bitterness in people’s words when they speak in rage, and feel the bliss when they speak of joy. He showed me the beauty not only in the human voice, but the beauty in the world. Like crickets that sing songs of love at nighttime, and the rain cleansing the world and creating a soft pitter-patter for my ears to delight in. All these noises bring my heart and soul contentment while played throughout the day. My father was the one who gave me this gift, and I have been forever grateful for it since then.

When I meet someone I take note in their voice if it’s deep, or strong, if it has an earthy tone or a tone of the skies higher and light. Once I start to know them better I remember him or her by their voices and hear it resonating in my head when they come to mind. I love to learn how to decipher moods through voices, taking up that slight hint in the pronunciation. I like their words creeping into my eardrums telling me beautiful or meaningless things. I love laughter. It’s rich sound, the variations it comes in, and the vibrations it carries into the room. I enjoy how voices and laughter give people part of their individuality.

I appreciate the wistful bliss that takes part when I listen to the mesh of voices and sounds [music]. When the beat hits my ears and that person’s soul creeps up through their throats to splay out bits and pieces of their lives and genius to the public. The delight I find when I hear a pretty line played out to a guitar. Listening to music was the easiest lesson to learn.

I believe in listening because it’s part of my very being and because it’s what makes me believe there is more fascination in the world than what meets the eye.