Rebecca - Renton, Washington

Benjamin is special to me. You might think that Benjamin is a person that I admire. You would be wrong. The operative word there is person. I do consider him a close friend but Benjamin is not a human, he is a fish.

One afternoon I was at the mall and passed by a pet store and that is when we met. A bright red with shimmering blue gills beautiful beta fish looked right at me with his gleaming eyes. I had never had a fish before so I spontaneously purchased him and all the necessary items for his life. Little did I know that he would be the best purchase I have ever made.

In the following weeks Benjamin moved on to the top of the dresser in my bedroom and we got to know each other and became close friends. It was then that I learned that friendship isn’t just about talking. Bonds are deeper than what you can verbally communicate to each other. Benjamin and I were happy just being together without saying anything at all. Unlike talkative self-centered teenage girls, Benjamin and I never have to fight for whose turn it is to talk.

Sometimes I just need to talk and Benjamin is always there to just listen to what I have to say. I think Benjamin’s favorite topic of discussion is gossiping about the people that have just come to visit, but my favorite topic has always been swimming. Occasionally you will find me sitting by Benjamin’s bowl just venting to him, having a heart-to-heart or just watching him. I know when he is interested in listening because he will wave his fins at me and stare very intently with only very rare blinks. I always know exactly where he is (because I put him there) and he is always there for me (because I put him there). Whoever said silence is golden was right; they obviously spent a lot of time with their pet fish.

Benjamin has many talents; he is very graceful for one but I think the most important aspect of Benjamin is his excellent swimming ability. This matters to me because I am a lifeguard and am paranoid about drownings. However, I know that Benjamin never will drown, he couldn’t even if he tried, he has gills. Also, he is very studly. He swims around his bowl like his owns the place. Most guys have self-esteem issues if they have a body of below average size but Benjamin has no such fear. He is so confident about who he is and that inspires me.

After having spent a lot of time with Benjamin over the many months we have been acquainted, I have learned that people friends are overrated and fish friends are legit. From one experienced human to another I am telling you, fish are stable, and they are the best friends that money can buy.