I Believe in the Power of the Home

Kellie - Stratford, Iowa
Themes: family, place

I am a firm believer that the foundation of who you are starts at home. I do not know about you, but I feel that my generation severely lacks the values and morals that should be taught by the parents from birth. The thought makes me ask myself…why? Why does my best friend have a boyfriend five years older then her? Is that really a twelve year old telling her mom what to do? Why do I hear about my friends staying out until 3:00 a.m. and not getting into trouble? Am I missing something, because if I arrived home any later then 12:30, I would be grounded for two weeks?

If you asked me where I would want to spend most of my time, it wouldn’t be at my friend’s house, the pool, or sweet party. It would be at home, because home is not just about the physical building, but what it represents. It is where I know I am safe, loved, and cared for. My parents always said that they would be there. They taught me everything I need to know about being a good person, loving others, forgiving. I’ve always had consequences for my actions and I believe that having those consequences lead me to be the person I am today: Smarter, more understanding, ready to face those hardships and pressures from our society today. Sadly, not many people my age are ready for those. Heck maybe I’m not even ready, but just knowing that I have my family standing behind me, cheering me on, gives me the confidence to step out into the world.

Home is where my heart is. Its power is not as strong as it used to be, but maybe, just maybe, people will wake up, look around, and realize that maybe their parents had a point. I believe in the power of the home. Always home.