Kathryn - Palm Desert, California
Themes: pleasure, purpose

Being a high school senior, I have spent many of the past years constantly being asked the question of what I want to do when I grow up. Many people expect you to have a solid idea. Not only that, but they expect a wonderful idea that will presumably make you lots of money when you are older. I’ve toggled between almost every idea you could possibly think of, ruling out easily things that grossed me out and carefully considering careers that could somehow be related to classes I do well in. with all careful consideration, I’ve decided to be a theatre major and when I thought about it, this answer was so clear.

I believe in passion. Webster’s Dictionary defines passion as a “strong feeling or emotion.” I’ve come to learn that passion is the feeling I get when I do something I love. Every time I am on stage, it’s an adrenaline like nothing I’ve ever felt before. I feel the heat of the lights and the energy from my fellow cast members as well as the audience. I escape into this world that was just words on paper I bring to life. Every new play or scene or monologue is a new adventure. It’s a new place with new characters and events. Nothing has ever made me feel as alive as theatre.

Speaking of it now brings such a sense of joy to me I almost wish I could stop talking just to perform something; anything. I know I feel this way because of my passion for theatre. Without passion, we, as people and as a world, would be nowhere. The groundbreakers throughout history down to the best teacher you had when you were 8 were what they were and did what they did because of passion. When you have passion for something, I believe you cannot fail. Passion allows you to drop what seems the rational or logical and work with all your heart for something.

I may only be 17, but I’ve been around long enough to understand that with passion usually comes happiness. As I said before, you cannot fail at something you as passionate about, but if there are disappointments or things that don’t come out exactly your way, I believe you will still be happy. “Life’s too short to not be happy,” is a motto that I try to live with everyday. I believe that with finding passion, I’ve found happiness. I know that no matter what cards I will be dealt in the future, I will make the best of my theatre education by hopefully acting. If it doesn’t work out according to plan, I’ll form new plans to make it by, but remember to never let go of the passion that makes me happy.