Irina - Plainsboro, New Jersey

I believe when a song is overplayed, the song is ruined. For me, music is about expressing who you are through the words of others. But many people don’t have a personal taste in music; instead they listen to the same popular songs over and over. Then, when a song that’s actually good is picked up by radio stations, those people who only listen to popular music, start to think that they are the once who first discovered the song. That is one of the many aspects that I despise about the music industry.

Another is how some bands start to act after they are famous, and what happens to the radio stations. Once the band is well known, they become lazy and their songs get worse and worse. This is because most bands only want to make money so they’ll sacrifice creating good songs for creating popular one’s, they’ll sacrifice creating meaningful songs, and they’ll sacrifice creating heartwarming songs, all to make a little more money. Remember Britney Spears? She used to be such a good singer but then the popularity got to her head. Then, the radio stations play these songs over and over again, until they are so unbearable you immediately change radio stations when one of them comes on. Then, the worst possible event occurs; your mom starts to sing and turns it way up every time it is played. But it’s not only bands and radio stations; it’s also the recording companies.

I believe that recording companies also contribute to the downfall of songs. This is because when they see many people like it, they see the chance to make even more money. They do this by rerecording songs, like a remix. But when they remix it for Kids Bop, with children singing it, then they have gone way too far. After you listen to one of those songs, you can never really listen to the real version the same again without seeing those kids jumping around like on the commercial and the voices of them pierce your ears like nails screeching down the chalkboard, echoing in your mind. That is the point where that song is way over.

Most importantly, I believe the song effects people. I think this because people start to loose their own taste in music by only listening to the popular music. It’s almost like they can’t even make decisions anymore, instead of independently thinking, they rely on the opinion of others. Then, their decision making is affected in all parts of your life. Not to mention once one of these songs is popular; it’s almost as if the true fans of the band disappear into the rapidly growing group of newly acquired fans. These are all reasons why I believe that that the true fans are not the one’s who knows all the lyrics, but the one’s who listened, even when the band wasn’t on loudspeaker.