Dalal - Wynne, Arkansas

As a teacher, I believe education is vital to growth. Throughout the stages of our life, many things will come and go but one thing will remain constant—that is the ability to learn. All humans are capable of learning but not necessarily being taught. A child can learn to think and learn to grow, but being taught to do either may not be such a success. I truly believe learning is fundamental, and it is learned through education. Once one is capable of learning, one is capable of growing.

I believe teaching is not just simply teaching. Teaching is the ability to stimulate the mind and promote the willingness and capacity to learn. Being a teacher is not merely a career, it is a lifestyle. Teaching a child to learn is worth more than just teaching curriculum based material. When a child can look at an object or text and see more than what is indicated at surface level, then the child is capable of learning.

I believe learning and success are synonymous. A day without learning is a day wasted. Learning is a process that should never cease. As humans, we are capable of learning something each and every day. In order to do such, we must possess the desire to do so. As it stands, learning can be both a conscious and subconscious act. Regardless of which it is, learning should never come to an end.

I believe assessment should be based on growth and improvement. Assume there are two students; let them be One and Two. Both are given the exact same assignment, which is a paper on subject “X”. One has prior knowledge of the subject whereas Two has none. One produces a paper of good quality with little research. Two produces a paper of similar quality and does extensive research. One receives a ‘B’ on the paper and Two receives an ‘A’. Why? Because Two learned and expanded his/her capacity to grow whereas One regurgitated information he/she was in possession of. Is it fair? Absolutely.

In conclusion, I believe in learning. I believe teaching is vital to learning whereas being taught is not necessarily so. I believe in the capabilities of not only children, but humans in general, to learn something new everyday. I believe growth and improvement are more important than simply knowledge on its own. I believe in education and I believe learning is what makes a difference.