marissa - taylor, Pennsylvania
Themes: illness

I believe

I believe strongly in miracles.

My niece Makayla was born with her bowel disconnected from her stomach.

At 9 a.m. on December 6th, 2005. My brother Anthony and his wife Courtney drove down to the St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital in Danville so the doctors could perform surgery on Makayla. After Courtney had been in labor for twelve hours, this beautiful baby was born. “No time to waste, we have to get this baby into surgery pronto”, said the doctor. The first surgery connected Makayla’s bowel to her stomach. However after a couple of weeks, Makayla deteriorated. She could not keep any foods or medicine down.

Another surgery was scheduled. They put a tube down her nose that was connected to her stomach so we could feed her and she would not choke. Four months after being born, my niece was finally ready to come home. We could feed her and give her medicine through the tube. Apart from the tube she was just like a normal baby. She cried, slept, crawled and did other things that kids her age do. Feeding Makayla was the hardest thing to do. With the tube you had to make sure that there were no air bubbles. If there were then they would go down her throat and she would choke. Makayla kept pulling the tube out of her nose. Anthony and Courtney took Makayla to get a check up. My brother told the doctor how Makayla would pull the tube out of her nose. The doctor thought maybe it would be a good idea to leave the tube out for a while. She was doing better without the tube than anyone had predicted. Makayla is now two years old, having the time of her life. She is just like normal children of her age. Now Makayla has a new baby brother and a family that loves her. She sings and dances like a two year old does. She knows that there are people who are willing to help her with whatever she needs. When you believe in miracles you also have to believe in hope. If there is no hope you rarely find some miracles. I believe in miracles. My niece Makayla is a living example of one!