Ashley - Moosic, Pennsylvania

This I believe; You must lose yourself in order to find who you truly are. It was only when I hit rock bottom that I discovered my true strengths and hidden talents. I have seen and experienced more than one should at my age. There were times when I regretted having to make those difficult decisions or experience grief and torment, while others continued idly with their lives. I can’t say I don’t feel any remorse about my past, but it’s who I was and after 18 years, I’ve finally learned to accept it.

A person’s past molds them just like a sculptor molds a lifeless ball of clay into a magnificent masterpiece. I believe that to lose yourself, you must be stripped of everything: thoughts, feelings, words, ideas, clothes, make-up, and jewelry. It’s as if you must feel pain, loss, or numbness before the achievements of happiness, satisfaction, and harmony. After the storm has caused its’ death and destruction, a sublime rainbow will emerge.

The loss of oneself ignites metamorphosis. What was once a feeble caterpillar transforms into a tensile butterfly. Try not to think of “losing yourself” as a negative impact on your life. Losing yourself and finding who you truly can be a beautiful thing, but only if you permit it. In my opinion, there’s nothing more satisfying than the discovery of oneself. Once that discovery is achieved, a world of opportunities emerges and overcomes you.

Though life may remain stagnant, your outlook won’t. You’ll begin to appreciate the subtle aspects you once took for granted. New experiences and opportunities will arise. Who knows, you might even get hit with a lucky streak. Cherish each day, but don’t dwell on it for there’s always a new one tomorrow. My past experiences, via trial and error, have shaped me into the beautiful and unique person I am today. I wouldn’t be here living life to the fullest if I hadn’t lost myself first. Just like Peter Pan found his shadow, I have found my identity. This I believe; You must lost yourself in order to find who you truly are.