Sierra - Moosic, Pennsylvania

this i

I believe that people who use words to attack others are insecure. When a person is unable to work through their own insecurities, they try and make others feel the same as them. It becomes a downward spiral of lowering self esteem. It moves through people like a chain reaction.

Although we’re told that we are beautiful in our own way, we disregard this statement. The majority of people these days do not always want to be their own beauty. They would prefer to become the media’s tiny hand-picked portion of beauty. Starting off early, young girls are aspiring to become the high-fashioned, six foot tall, blubber-free celebrities and models that that the media portrays. Why is it that the media displays the average woman as being the size of a toothpick? There are never any average women on television. The media only uses people that are appealing to the eye and for this reason, we believe that if we do not look like “Hollywood Starlets,” we aren’t as beautiful.

Younger girls, for the most part, are highly affected by this. They become self-conscious and it is more than just the media’s fault. When young girls are raised with mothers or sisters that are constantly using creams and lotions to “beautify” themselves, the girl begins to believe that she must do the same. Everything the child knows changes, and the innocence becomes lost in a world of competition between girls and women. When a mother suggests to her daughter that she should consider dieting and constantly wear make-up, the daughter grows up to believe this and her children will believe in this also.

It’s no help that girls are given Barbie dolls to play with from the time they’re able to speak. Barbie was made to represent the perfect role model for young girls and teenagers. But when scientists studied Barbie and her voluptuous figure, they stumbled upon some interesting facts: It is impossible to ever look like Barbie. This was because her measurements were all wrong. Some girls have aspirations of becoming Barbie in their futures, but that dream is will continually be crushed. Barbie is supposed to be a positive role model but I cannot recall the last time I saw my doctor or a veterinarian look like her.