Stephanie - Moosic, Pennsylvania
Themes: hope, purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Even the tiniest things people over look happen for a reason. This belief has helped me get through the more trying stages of my life, and has put a little humor into them as well.

A loveless relationship. Can’t live without them. Can’t get out. It seems that months of emotional abuse and loathing doesn’t convince the most reasonable and independent person to leave a damaging relationship. In 2006 I endured my first and last deprecating relationship. After nearly a year, I had enough guts to say, “I want out.” I was always the one telling friends they didn’t have to stay in unhealthy relationships. When it came down to my own relationship, I chose to ignore the obvious deficiencies and told myself I could help him change. Months of useless arguing and tearful nights finally brought me to my breaking point. I had to experience the bad before I realized I was too good for childish, meaningless relationships. I don’t regret the relationship though. I believe it taught me lessons I will never lose. In the future, I will never allow myself to jump into desperate relationships just for the prospect of having someone and I will fall in love with the man, not the man I want him to be.

Less detrimental, but just as meaningful is the all too popular phrase of parents, “Don’t touch that stove!” It’s one of those life lessons, I’ll never forget. I had to know climbing onto the counter and grabbing for that pot was a bad idea but it didn’t stop me. Add a clumsy child to a hot stove and together you get a disaster. It resulted in emotional scarring, but also a lesson. Although I felt pain and embarrassment, I never went near that hot stove again. It doesn’t have to be a life altering lesson to create a lasting memory. Pain and embarrassment happen for a reason, even if I can’t see it at the time.

I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason. When everything can potentially go wrong I think, “Everything happens for a reason.” “This is going to get better.” A little luck and a lot of hope make these words true.