Jill - Erie, Pennsylvania

Let me introduce myself, my name is Jill S– and I am seventeen years young. Resulting from a very moral upbringing I have many strong beliefs and I was taught to always stand for them. One of my strongest beliefs is that all the good things in life are worth waiting for. This belief is merely a broad description of how I choose to live my life. I believe that if you are willing to wait for the good things you will learn many other valued attributes including patience, boundaries, and independence.

A legend by the name of William Langland once wrote that patience is a virtue. I find this statement to be very accurate and uplifting. It is common that people forget the delicate art of patience when faced with a hectic and fast-paced world. However, I am an exception that crowd because I am able to hold out for the future and just live life one day at a time. By practicing this lifestyle I have been able to approach patience in a very realistic way. I’m not saying that I’m the most patient person all the time, but I do believe that if a person can wait for the good things in life then patience will eventually be mastered and life will be more rewarding.

As I mentioned before I am seventeen years young, and being that I am senior in high school I am constantly faced with the option of participating in so many illegal activities; for instance, the overrated hobby of drinking. Now for some people drinking is an escape, but for the majority of people it’s just to get drunk and “have fun”. This is when I feel so lucky that I was brought up the way I was, simply because I’m the person to say no. I’m the person who can find other ways to have fun and realize that I don’t need that in my life right away, and that there is a legal drinking age for a reason. Drinking has become extremely abused, especially with people from ages sixteen and up, occasionally younger. I believe that alcohol is not supposed to be used until the age of twenty-one for a reason; I believe this because I’m willing to wait for the good things in life. For me, drinking is a privilege for adults and because of my morals I’m going to be one of maybe half of my graduating class that can say no to this superficial activity.

Aside from providing patience and morality, waiting for the good things in life also provides a sense of independence. Many children and teenagers these days are extremely spoiled and do not have to work for anything they get. However, I am not that way at all because I was taught to work for the things that I want. If I see something that I want or think I “need”, I work for it instead of asking my mom and getting what I want right away. I am able to think like this because I believe that if you want something good then it’s worth waiting for.

Even though I’m different from many of my peers, I am very proud to stand up for what I believe in. I do not need the approval of my classmates to be happy because I happy just being myself. I am somewhat independent, I follow the law, and I continue to practice patience everyday. All of these wonderful characteristics were achieved because I believe that all the good things in life are worth waiting for. What do you believe in?