eddie - Mitchellville, Iowa
Themes: birth

Life changing experiences occur to individuals every second of every day. My life changing experience hit me eight weeks after the fact. “You’re going to be a daddy,” she said to me with a smile of shock on her face. Soon the smiles faded to tears, and the tears to fears.

With questions arising in our minds all we could think about was ourselves. What will the family and friends say? What will they think? Will they still love us? We soon took our questions to none other than Planned Parenthood. With being so worried and focused about what people would think we wanted to find alternatives to make this overwhelming dream be forgotten about. We knew what was ethically correct but we still had doubts about what to do. About two hours later we made our decision.

Soon after deciding to keep our precious fetus we started making trips to the O.B. The reality started to set in when the ultrasound doctor said, “There’s the heartbeat.” Tears swelled up as Brook and I looked into each others eyes. We knew we made the right decision.

The days flew by like weeks and weeks like months as we made our trips to the doctor for check ups. By week twenty the ultrasound specialists exclaimed, “Congratulations, it’s a girl.” The sense of excitement and joy filled our hearts as we got lost in each others eyes again.

Ten more weeks came and went as we purchased our first home. We settled in and Brook started her mother “nesting” phase as we impatiently waited for our daughter to arrive. By week thirty-eight we decided to start labor early by inducing. We packed our bags and headed for the hospital. At 7:00 p.m. on that Thursday night the potosine (drug used to help start contractions) was driven into the veins of Brook through the I.V. We frantically waited and waited for little pumpkin to pop her head out. After seventeen hours of screams and feeling of numbness in my hand due to Brook squeezing it, she called for an epidural (a stint placed in-between vertebrae of spine to block feeling of contractions).

Staying up with the drive from adrenaline, hour twenty-five approached. Dr. Hoegh said to Brook, “You have been dilated at a five for the past five hours would you like to have a Caesarean section (C-section)?” Natural birth was all that was on Brooks’s mind, so she declined his offer.

Another two hours rolled by when we finally threw in the towel and resorted to a C-section. We both were prepped for surgery. I put on a gown with a hairnet and looked just like one of the doctors. Brook was rolled into the operating room as I followed, assuring her everything was going to be alright.

The surgery began with an order from the doctor: scalpel please. My heart pounded, feeling like it was going to come right out of my chest he began to make the incision. The blood began to ooze as suddenly her internal organs became outer organs. Viewing many different organs being placed on her stomach I became more anxious than ever. Seconds felt like minutes and minutes like hours. Suddenly with the force of the doctors, her head came swimming through the blood. Next came the rest of her body. The shrilling sound of her screams made my heart melt like a snow cone on a hot summer day. The indescribable feeling of love and excitement filled my body as stood in shock to finally see my 6 lb 8 oz baby Jaeden.

Now, after many sleepless nights, we have gained a better understanding of how our parents feel about us. My life has been nothing but a blessing and I could not ask for any more than I have. A quote I live by is “If God brings you to it, He will bring your through it.” This is why I Believe Everything Happens for A Reason.