Christy - Palatka, Florida
Age Group: 65+

There are 5 short quotes attributed from Emerson.

1) This glitter, this opaline lustre plays round the top of every toy… and he [the child] is deceived to his good. (Emerson) I believe in Light, its exhortation and seduction: the charm of sequins, spangles, glitter and gold. Light on water ever shifting. Light through my window changing the room’s ambiance. I like to be surprised, overwhelmed, taken by beauty, arrested by nuances of light and shadow.

I still love the dye colors from my childhood–oil paints on my parents’ palettes: alizarin crimson, ultramarine, prussian blue, venetian purple. People and places have color. I’m addicted to pixels, the dance of tiny rectangles on a screen. In temporal oblivion, I manipulate images deep into the night. Fabrics with their colors, textures and patterns hold a similar attraction.

Look. Capture. Succumb.

2) The blue zenith is the point in which romance and reality meet. (Emerson) I believe in Art and Writing as fields that transform over time and that artists can advance them. I believe in the integrity of fields, forms, objects, and ideas and thus consider myself an animist. As a body of work develops, the artist discovers what rivets, what persists. Eventually, defenses fall away; the awful and beautiful truths emerge. Art has revealed my themes, who I am. For 25 years, I’ve been committed to craft and critique through a writer’s workshop.

Create. Collaborate. Think.

3) If our own life flowed with the right energy, we should shame the brook. (Emerson) I believe in Sex as the highest form of communication. Because it involves prized areas of my existence– expression, sensuality, acceptance, ecstasy, eroticism, passion, playfulness, choreography and speaking in tongues–how could I not choose sex as one of the most powerful and essential forces in life?

Sexual love at its deepest encompasses intimate connection and bonding. The primal path offers the greatest civilizing influence. Paradoxical. The greatest chance for peace. For love.

Find. Share. Enjoy.

4) In every landscape, the point of astonishment is the meeting of the sky and the earth, and that is seen from the first hillock as well as from the top of the Alleghenies. (Emerson) I’m astonished as much by the periphery as the horizon. As a child, I saw landscapes were the purview of the male artist; still lifes belonged to women. Think Odysseus off on adventures and Penelope at home weaving. Feminism later inspired me to focus on landscape as a taboo area. I believe in observing and creating Landscapes–tapping the power of spatial awareness, enlarging the concept of worldview.

In a sense, landscape is a portal to the world. This is true for cityscapes as well. In dreams, I walk, run, drive past garment districts, dress shops, restaurants, museums–locating landmarks, navigating one-way streets, deciphering patterns. Atlanta, New York, Chicago, New Orleans. I’m fascinated with maps, diagrams–visual ways of making sense of the universe. To me, the layout of a page or book is a schematic of thinking.

Open. Explore. Connect.

5) We bask in the shining hours of Florida and Cuba; when everything that has life gives sign of satisfaction, and the cattle that lie on the ground seem to have great and tranquil thoughts. (Emerson) I believe in Ideas: the power of making lists, having dreams, wanting things to happen, to change. I love projects. I recall one significant list of goals from the mid-90’s: masters degree, NEA, invitation to speak in England, international travel, divorce, sell Stone Mountain house, learn French. French escaped me.

I favor art based on conceptual thinking, especially if it honors and doesn’t obliterate passion. For fifteen years, I experimented with Genre Fusion–combining genres based on principles of the individual disciplines, especially fiction and poetry, but also biography and non-fiction. After that, for five years, I worked to define Web-Specific Art-Writing as a new form.

Dream. Plan. Act.