John - Colfax, Iowa
Themes: hope

I believe in always looking at the positives of life. Working in life to find the positives may be hard to find, while the negatives seem so easy to find. Being around encouraging people can make the day go by quicker and the feeling of life will grow. In this essay I will tell two different stories that have had an impact on my life. The first story is about a man that showed what a great attitude can do and the other will be a transformation of character and attitude.

Every Saturday I work at the one of the seven large banks in Altoona. One customer has always came in with a smile on his face. The warm smile glows from his aged face. The smile that he portrays gives him a youthful spirit. When that second door comes open, the glow of his attitude flows through the bank. He says hi to everyone in our small bank, and the warm affection of his attitude boosts everyone’s attitude. He knows everyone’s name and has never been rude to anyone who works there. He always will talk about his weekend plans and will ask what you are doing for the weekend. The aurora of his attitude sets him apart from most people in this world. The attitude and the aurora is something that I wish I could achieve in my lifetime.

On the opposite side of the attitude the negative attitude has taught me something as well. I have worked with a negative person throughout my career of different jobs.

I have worked with an individual that only looks at the negative side of work and the job. Often the negative that I would hear about is the pay, the management style, other co-workers, and the lack of benefits of the company. Yet, this negative attitude would always bring the mind set of the job down and always had a negative aspect on the work environment. This attitude was like a rain drop causing a ripple effect in the lake. The work environment has been plagued with the negativity of work and everything that goes into it.

Finally one day I was sick of the bad attitude and the negativity. I started to look at the bright side of work and the benefits that I had. I had a sensation in my body to change from the negatives and focus on the positives. I took that one customer who had the great aurora and I used him as a role model for work. I was going to be that guy who comes in and always has a smile on his face. That customer showed me what it was like to have a great attitude and the impact it plays on everyone else. I wrote everything down that was a positive about working at the bank. My pay was better than most places, the work was easy, I had great hours to work, and I had a feeling of being in charge some days. What was I complaining about and why should I hassle with the unconstructive attitude of work? From that day I started to change my attitude, not just about work but about everything in life and continue to work on for the rest of my life.

This change that has taken part in my life can take part in anyone’s life. Change to look at the better things in life can change society and everyone around us. This one customer has changed me to become a better individual in life and society. We have to look through the negativity of our lives and see the incredible things around us more often.