Finding Happiness

Brandon - Anchorage, Alaska

Life seems to be a never-ending battle. There’s no checklist to complete to ensure happiness forever. Instead we all face everyday challenges. Because of these on-going problems, many struggle in their pursuit of happiness. To become happy in life I’ve always believed that those who give their weight in love and joy to others are in return given the ability to fly their spirits to new heights.

When I was young, I believed that in order to be happy you had to make yourself better in every category. You had to be good at academics, sports, comedy, conversations, etc. Soon however I quickly faced the facts. No matter how hard you try, you can’t be the perfect person. Sure a great test score will make you feel good for a little while but that happiness is short lived. There is only so much an A+ can give you. It can’t make you laugh, you can’t play games with it, and most importantly of all, it can’t love you.

To fix these problems I did what every other young child would do, I watched Disney fairytales. Since every one of their stories ended in bliss, I thought maybe I could mimic their ways. This may have worked, but unfortunately I couldn’t find any dragons in the area to slay, or any princesses to save. Now my mind was really turning. Even Disney couldn’t help me find happiness.

Then I reevaluated both situations. In all of these aspects, the only reason these things brought me happiness was because I would share them with friends! When I’m with friends suddenly my problems don’t seem so large. Normally problems grow within me until they are over-bearing, but just a simple smile delivered on my face by a friend can some how make everything better. Ever since then I’ve believed that those who give their weight in love and joy to others are in return given the ability to fly their spirits to new heights.