Join Me on the “Dark Side”

John - bondurant, Iowa

Why does everything have to be so frickin’ positive? I just closed on my first house roughly two weeks ago. This is normally an exciting and uplifting experience. To get that house though, I had to go through eight months of hell with credit reporting agencies and various mortgage lenders because serving my country destroyed my credit. While I was in Iraq, a total of seven companies claimed that I owed them money and then sent default notices to all three credit reporting agencies. Four have since been removed after fighting them for the past year, two I am still fighting, and one will stay there because of the way the law protects credit card companies. Without going into a rant, long story short – my credit does not reflect the type of person I am. Now what should have been a glorious experience for me buying furniture and the necessary household appliances, I cant because I cant qualify for so much as a Sear’s card. What kind of system penalizes a person for answering the call to duty? This is just my experience with one of many very flawed systems in our society. Allow me to touch on a few of our problems.

Poverty! I believe that we cannot count on our government to fix poverty in our country. I learned in my Macroeconomics class that society and the economy actually need low income households in order to flourish. I’m sure the president’s advisors learned this as well and have advised him accordingly. Instead of identifying and correcting the root issue, they’re content to hand out aid and leave it at that. I equate that to a doctor giving a patient morphine to ease the pain instead of wheeling him into surgery.

Crime! All one has to do is look at a crime report to see how we humans treat one another. Men are beaten because of the color of their skin, kids are shot dead because of a wrong look or for a new pair of shoes, there’s been three recent stories of babies being brutally killed; and let’s not forget how effective the “War on Drugs” has been.

With all the positivity out there, nothing has really changed. It only leads to more stress and disappointment. I know that I feel less stress now that I’ve accepted the fact that I can do nothing to counter the mistreatment I suffered at the hands of a Grandview College professor. Sure, there’s an appeal process, but did you know that even if the appeals board rules in favor of the student, the teacher can choose to ignore the decision, fail you anyway, and you have no recourse.

In a final attempt to woo you to the dark side, consider this. You can’t have a good without bad, a heaven without hell, or a hot without cold. With all the problems that nothing can be done about, why settle for the pain and letdown, the disappointment and depression associated with the positive. Accepting that some things you cannot change can allow you to focus on the things you can control in your everyday life and be happy with that. Some of you can hold on to your precious idea of hope, but nothing is going to change. It doesn’t matter who we elect, because the politicians are too self serving and can’t compromise enough to effect change. Latch on to your positivity if you must, I’ll remain a realist. Have a nice day.