Sheena - Ankeny, Iowa

I believe in singing in the shower. I believe that after a long hard day of work and school nothing is better than singing in the shower. The best part about singing in the shower is your shower head could care less if your off key, on beat, or skip a few words because you’re unsure of the lyrics. You don’t have to be remotely musical to belt out your favorite songs. No one is around. No one is listening. Nobody cares.

Sure, this may sound incredibly superficial compared to the amazing essays about war, loosing loved ones, fighting cancer, and achieving something you worked all your life for. I really believe singing in the shower is a little piece of what helped me get through college.

When I was in my junior year of college I finally decided broadcast journalism was the road for me. My ultimate goal was to be the ESPN girl who interviewed the players after games. My classes consisted of being the cute bubbly blonde on our cable TV station at 8am, writing ads for our college radio station at 11am, while reading chapters among chapters until 2pm. Where I then jetted off to work at the local Starbucks where I was you’re friendly drive-thru girl who always gave you the best cup of coffee you will ever drink, with the biggest smile you will ever see.

At the end of my ten hour day I couldn’t stand the smell of coffee, the news anchors on TV, or to smile at one more person. All I could muster myself to do was light a few candles and belt out Billy Joel in my shower. This simple act helped me wash off the day. It helped me remember I was human. In the shower I don’t have to be happy and perky, or polite to customers who are rude to me. I don’t have to worry about what I look like, I can just be me. Off key, skip a few lyrics, mascara running down my face, me.

I still dream to one day be that girl on ESPN. I will be doing something I love, even if for a couple hours I have to wear that smile. Because behind that smile is a girl who knows Billy, her shower, and a few candles are waiting for her at home.