Katrina - Urbandale, Iowa

A shooting star streaks across the sky, grabbing your attention and your appreciation of its beauty. It quickly ends but its impact of its presence can be enough to change lives or maybe just bring a smile to your face. Shooting stars remind me of those friends who come into your life for a brief amount of time and then fizzle out of your life. A kind word from a stranger can be enough to be a shooting star for someone or encouragement to follow a dream.

I was devastated. My fiancé just ended our relationship just a few months before our wedding. He left my life and I felt lost. I knew it was the right decision to part ways but I loved him. My life had been planned out but now I had no idea of what to do. I focused on my studies. That’s when my shooting star blazed into my life.

I was in summer college classes, including two chemistry courses. During the labs, I was randomly partnered with a student with the dream of becoming a doctor. I also had that dream but always thought of it as impossible and never went after it. We became friends and she continued to encourage me to follow my dreams. It seemed impossible though because I had not taken all the subjects for the Medical College Admissions Test, including never taken a physics or organic course. The other two subjects I was more familiar with, biology and general chemistry. In order to get accepted for the year after I was to graduate, I had to take the test at the end of summer, less than two months away. She convinced me I could do it and we even studied together. I spent every waking moment cramming my head with physics, chemistry and biology. Most people still thought I was crazy and that my dream was impossible, yet just her presence gave me the confidence that I could do it. She was my shooting star that changed my life.

The MCAT has come and gone, along with my secondary application, letters of recommendation, an interview invitation, the actual interview and finally my acceptance to my top choice medical school to become a doctor. Throughout the long three month process after the actual test, my friendship with Lindsay faded and we went our separate ways.

You never know when you may be that shooting star for another person. Lighting up their life with your presence, you can impact them in an unusual way. However, it does not have to be a major event to be a shooting star for a person. A smile or a kind gesture is enough to encourage someone and be a bright spot of their day. I believe shooting stars are how one gets through life.