Sara - West Des Moines, Iowa
Themes: work

When I sit down and think about my life, there is one clear pattern. Hard work; I’ve been working hard ever since I could remember.

My brother’s life was never easy. He was allergic to everything imaginable and was constantly sick. My brother almost died when he was twelve from a staph infection. (A staph infection is an infection that gets inside of bones and eats all of the bone marrow inside of it.) Since my brother had so many problems, I had to work extra hard.

Since my mom had to spend most of her time with my brother, I had to make sure not to cause any trouble for her. I had to work hard in class so she wouldn’t worry. I had to learn how to take care of myself since my mom and brother were always at the doctor. I would clean the house so she wouldn’t have to. But since I had to learn lessons on my own, I became strong and independent.

Some people would be sad to grow up alone. I, on the other hand, feel sorry my mom couldn’t watch me. Even though my mom was always gone with my brother, when she came back she always apologized for not being there.

My mom never had an easy life and she never complained. She had to take care of people her whole life while never even thinking about herself. She had to raise two kids while working. She devoted the rest of her life to make sure my brother and I would have a better one. But since she worked hard her whole life and done only what is right, she will be rewarded in the end. I know this because I’m going to make sure she won’t have any worries later. I work hard not only because my mom taught me to, but because I want to take care of my mom the way she took care of everyone else. I believe that hard work will get you far.