Changing my look

Alex - Missouri

I believe it is important for every teenager to feel comfortable about how they look. Even if that means that they want to change their look. Over winter break I decided to change my appearance by dying my hair a new color, cutting it much shorter, and wearing my hair in a fauxhawk. I love my new look. Even though most people said that I would look really bad with a new hair I thought, “I’m only a teen once,” so I decided to do it anyway. As it turns out even though my true hair color isn’t black, it doesn’t look unnatural and I am very comfortable with the way I look.

I have a friend who also changed his look at the beginning of sophomore year. What he did was he cut his hair and dyed it black. He went from very long hair to fairly long hair in the front and short on the sides and front. Then he started to wear tighter fitting clothes and he is happy with the way he looks. It doesn’t bother him what others say. That is what I feel is important.

Today youths feel that fitting in is what is important and they believe the way to do that is to dress in a way that they may not want to. I believe that kids should try to fit in with the people that don’t care what they wear. Kids should be able to dress how they want and feel comfortable about themselves while they do it. They should be able to change their hair color or what they wear without anyone making fun of them. I believe that it is important for a teenager to dress how they want and enjoy their time as a teenager. If someone wants to turn their hair purple, black, or make it multiple colors then they should be able to and enjoy their hair that way. It is important that people should be able to go out in public and look they way they want whether they want to wear a Mohawk or some other kind of unique hairdo.

I believe that your friends shouldn’t care what you wear; if they do care what you wear then they truly aren’t your friends. Wearing what makes you feel comfortable is very important in how good teenagers feel about themselves. I like to dress in dark clothing, wear band and skull shirts, wear chains, and just to enjoy being a teenager. All of my friends don’t care that I dress like that. My friends and I all joke around with my new look and its fun and entertaining. I liked the reactions that many of my fellow classmates and teachers had when they saw my new look. Many of them didn’t even know that it was me and it took them a while to figure it out. I believe that it is very important to feel comfortable in the way you look.