Benton - Des Moines, Iowa

“Music is everybody’s possession. It’s only publishers who think that people own it.” this was quoted by the legendary John Lennon who gave music a meaning. He changed my life at a very early age and made me stick with one of the only things that meant something to me. Passion is the one word that comes to mind when thinking of music. It effects me everyday and helps me in bad situations. This I believe.

Music is something that we all hold close to us. Whether it be heavy metal, country, rap, blues, techno etc. it always gets you in the right mood. It is one of the only things in the world that can cheer you up without anyone being around. There is just something about listening to your favorite song, favorite band, or favorite album that puts you in a the right state. When I listen to music it is usually meta. As a musician myself I know how hard it is to play some of the stuff they do. Yet, my favorite band is nott in even in that genre of music.

When I grew up, my grandma and aunt introduced me to a band from Liverpool named The Beatles. I was five years old and by ten I had all the songs memorized, even though I did not know what they really truly meant. My grandma and I would always listen to them when ever we were together. Then when I was in third grade, she tragically passed away, I was so young I did not know what to do. Ever since then I listen to all thirteen Beatles albums to remind me of her, as well as hear genius. That is what music does for me; it makes me want to do more and see more. It makes me want to share my art and passion with the world. By pleasing people with my music.

Artists are not just rock stars on stage, they are people like everyone else. They hurt, they laugh, and they party. Many have changed the world as we know it for the better. Take John Lennon for example, he wanted piece from the Vietnam War and fought to have it. He held protests and many other events to stop it. Because he was famous and loved, people listened to him. “Give piece a chance,” he sang and that is what made the government think he was a threat. They even tried to deport him for causing “problems.” Then because of someone else’s passion for music he was shot by that person and changed peoples perception.

Even the fans hold special places for them. I have seen many bands before with the likes of 311, Slipknot, Ozzy Osbourne, Sevendust, and Rob Zombie to name a few. Yet, the best ones were the bands that made the audience feel at home. They talk to them and tell stories to let you know you mean something to them. They know music means as much to them as it does to you.

It is the only thing that two of the most opposite people can have in common. It is the thing that gives people hope. It is the thing that you know you can always feel safe listening to. This I believe is music.