Andy - Issaquah, Washington

I believe in the power of a good imagination. I know this may sound silly or childish, but I believe imagination is a lot more then simply a kids’ daydreams. Maybe when you think of imagination you think of a land of magic and wonder filled with unicorns, chocolate rivers and talking dinosaurs. I think of something else. I see imagination as the first step to accomplishing a goal. In fact it was Walt Disney himself who once said “If you can dream you can do it”. Imagination is a doorway leading to a world of endless possibilities.

As a young boy I imagined many things, I made impenetrable fortresses out of blankets and couch cushions, I fought off attacking ninjas with sticks and even piloted ships in the treacherous oceans with a newspaper hat and cardboard eye patch. There is one particular dream though that has stuck with me to this day. Every weekend for the first eight years of my life I would travel down to the docks on Lake Union with my father and mother. My parents would work on our twenty-seven foot sailboat and sometimes we would take it out for a lap around the lake. For the most part I sat around and watched my parents with nothing better to do then let my thoughts wander. When I was seven years old I imagined myself traveling around the world in a boat like ours sailing, swimming and searching for exotic marine life. I pictured myself floating belly-down with my mask and fins exploring the oceans like a young Jacque Cousteau. It may have been an odd dream for a seven year old, but it stuck with me. And I knew from that day on that when I grew up I wanted to be a marine biologist. Now through twelve years of schooling, countless hours of homework and many arduous college applications I am finally beginning to realize that dream I imagined so many years earlier.

Imagination goes even farther then career wishes or life goals Imagination is subconsciously what we want the world to be. And if we choose to accept our dreams even as adults we can accomplish a lot more. Why is it that imagination is not appreciated if it so important you ask? Well many people don’t realize just how important it can be, and shrug it off as a waste of time, after all it is hard to get a bunch of work done when your just dreaming all day. But I think as you mature so should your imagination. As I grow older my dreams become more realistic and grounded in truth. Albert Einstein once said that “Imagination is more important than knowledge”. I agree with Mr. Einstein by first imagining something you can start working towards making it a reality, but if you never imagine it then you can never live it.