April - Mission Viejo, California
Themes: love, purpose

This I believe, I believe in fate. Have you ever met someone and thought to yourself “Wow I really feel like this person is supposed to be in my life”? I know I have. It does not even had to be a person, it just be an event that happened to transpire unexpectedly but it still feels so right. When I was sixteen, I met someone who I instantly knew was the person I was going to spend the rest of my life with. I know it sounds crazy but there was just something about the way he made me feel. His name was Derek; he was a soft spoken man with a big heart. Derek was nineteen and was just finishing up his first year in the Marine Corps. We went on our first day it was history from there; given the circumstances of the war in Iraq, I knew that it was possible Derek would deploy. He proposed on Christmas Eve and of course I said yes. He left February 29th, 2004; little did I know this would be the last time I would ever see him again. Sadly, Derek died September 4th, 2004 when a suicide bombed swerved into his convoy. I was sure that my life was over, how could I go on without him? I did not think it was possible, but then, I met Mike. Mike was also a Marine, we began dating; my friends thought I was crazy “how could you date another Marine” they would say. I just couldn’t help it; something about Mike made me feel at peace. One night at dinner, I learned that Mike was at the scene of the accident when Derek died. Derek was a truck driver; he would transport Marines and goods from camp to camp. On that particular day, Derek was on his way out to pick up Mike and his fellow team members, Mike told me that if the incident had happened on the way back it would have been him. I got butterflies in my stomach, I remember thinking how could this be? How is this possible? But then my mind begins to flood with thoughts of Mike and how comfortable he made me feel. It was as if we were supposed to meet. I was sure that he was suppose to be in my life, to help guide me through such a trying time when I felt so lost and confused. Mike understood how I was feeling, he understood the angry, the grief, the disbelief, his five of his friends died in this accident, and he knew what I was going through. Out of all the people in the club the night Mike and I met, I met the one person who could identity with me, who was patient, kind, and tolerated my ups and downs. Fate brought us together; it brought me someone who is so generous and loving. That is why, I believe in fate.