Paige - Edina, Minnesota

Last month, my grandma Cindy was diagnosed with cancer. It was a day in the weekend my dad told me the frightening news. I walked downstairs and my dad was sitting on the couch crying. As I approached the couch to come sit with him, tears were dominating his eyes. They ran down his cheeks as fast as a waterfall. I walked over to him and asked “What’s wrong dad?” There was a short pause before he spoke “Grandma Cindy is sick with Cancer,” he replied. After he told me the news, we sat together and talked. I asked him questions about her and if she would get better or not. At the end of our talk I knew that I would be ok. I believe, in good and hard times, it’s better with family by your side.

When I was about 10 years old I learned to ride my bike. One day in the weekend, my mom dragged me outside and said “Paige you are going to learn how to ride your bike… today.” she replied. I took in what she said and decided I better learn sometime. My legs were shaking as I tried to keep my balance while also trying not to fall off. I tried to peddle with all my might. Each time I tried I felt I was improving. “Keep on going, you almost have it!” my mom screamed. In a matter of minutes I had done it all by myself.

I have learned that even something as small as receiving a grade you are proud of, or losing a tooth, it’s better to have family there too to see those things happen.

There was a time in 2003 when my baby sister, Rachel, was born. When I went to the hospital to see her, a smile lit up my face. I felt so much joy as I looked into her tiny eyes for the very first time. I enjoyed meeting her with my sister Haley and my dad right beside me. I enjoyed getting to hold Rachel because she was the first sibling I had ever had.

I can also remember the day of my 5th Grade Graduation and my Grandma and Grandpa and Mom and Dad where cheering for me and clapping as I went on the stage to receive my “diploma.” They were all very proud of me that I had made it this far. I felt confident that day because I could see my family watching me amidst the million people that surrounded me.

Through all these events, I know my family was always there for me, and they will continue to be. I think my family is the best thing I could ever ask for.

This I Believe.