Yesenia - Chicago, Illinois

In certain times in our lives, we all go through struggles. Some may be more severe than others, but no matter how bleak they are they always tend to leave a mark in our lives. Like a pebble being skipped on a pond. Marks that will make us realize that in some point, we are going to be responsible for our actions. That we are not always going to depend on our parents. We have to open our eyes and realize that we are growing up into the people we will be for the rest of our lives.

When I use to be younger all I ever cared for was me. The world revolved around my well being. Whenever my mom came telling me, Yesenia, you should never scream back at your mother your going to regret it. And when you do is going to be too late or when she said your not going nowhere if you keep being self-centered, your only hurting yourself. I would have careless about what she thought. Then something happen that changed me completely.

A few years back my mom got sick, she was about to die. And what do I do, I put my self in denial. I didn’t want to admit that she was going to leave me and go to another life. What was I supposed to do without her? At that moment I realized that I shouldn’t had taken her words for granted.

Everything she had ever told me and had done was because she cared. She wanted me to be a better daughter and I wanted to change. Being self-absorbed was not going to help. What so ever it wasn’t my words, which were going to make her see I was willing to change, for it were my actions.

I was behaving in reasonable ways; I accepted things my mom told me. I learned to be responsible.

I believe that most people come to a realization or event that causes them to mature. “This is life it’s no dress rehearsal, there’s no replay button, no going backwards in time if thing happen it’s for a reason.” (Naomi Clark)